This is one of those great trans-seasonal dishes that you can trot out all year round.
It combines roasted and steamed vegetables, chickpeas, mixed lettuce leaves and a tangy dressing, giving you the best of both worlds for those that can't decide between vegetables or salads as a side dish.
This Warm Roasted Vegetable Salad goes well with any kind of grilled meat or fish but works equally well as the main dish for a vegetarian meal. If I was cooking it as a main I would serve it with a loaf of crusty fresh bread and good butter or creamy polenta with freshly grated Parmasen cheese.
You can substitute normal potatoes, pumpkin, parsnips or carrots for the sweet potatoes and beetroots. You could even add roasted red or yellow capsicums (peppers) for extra interest. Just make sure you have an interesting mix of vegetables for for maximum visual impact.
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 2 minutes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2-3 medium beetroots
- 2 whole sweet corn
- 120 grams mixed lettuce leaves
- 1/4 small red onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- Few sprigs fresh basil leaves or mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 degrees fan-forced).
- Line baking tray with tinfoil.
- Wash sweet potatoes and beetroot (leave skin on both) and pat dry.
- Wrap beetroot in tin foil until completely covered.
- Place sweet potatoes and wrapped beetroot on baking tray and roast for 45-60 minutes (depending on size). Test whether vegetables are done by inserting a skewer - it should go in easily without any resistance.
- Test whether vegetables by inserting a skewer - it should go in easily without any resistance.
- Meanwhile, cook the sweetcorn in boiling water for 12 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove corn from water and set aside to cool down for ten minutes. Slice the sweet corn into thick pieces.
- Once sweet potatoes and beetroots are done, remove from oven and set aside for 15 minutes to cool down.
- Remove tinfoil, peel and slice vegetables into thick chucks.
- Wash and spin dry lettuce leaves and then layer into a shallow bowl.
- Top with roasted vegetables and sweetcorn, chickpeas and fresh herbs.
- Create dressing by mixing olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice and salt and pepper in a small cup or jar.
- Pour over salad just before serving and mix to combine.