This pastryless potato and vegetable pie is a budget-friendly and delicious vegetarian meal.
You can use pretty much any fresh vegetables and herbs you have at hand.
Serve the potato and vegetable pie with a green salad such as this watercress and avocado salad.
- 2 cups of grated potato
- 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of grated carrot
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped brown onion
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped continental parsley
- 2 Tbsp of finely chopped basil
- 1 large free-range egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- 1/4 cup of bread crumbs
- 5 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- A little butter or oil for greasing oven-proof dish
- Special equipment: 9.5" oven-proof dish
- Serves 4
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F (180C).
- Lightly grease an oven-proof dish. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients, except for the bread crumbs in a large mixing bowl. Stir vegetable mixture well with a wooden spoon to combine and coat in lightly beaten egg.
- Add the bread crumbs and gently stir until almost combined.
- Pour vegetable mixture into oven-proof dish and flatten by smoothing and pushing mixture down with the back of the wooden spoon.
- Top vegetable mixture with slices of cherry tomato and then bake for 35-40 minutes until golden.
- Serve potato and vegetable pie with a salad such as this watercress and avocado salad.