Use up leftover roasted vegetables in this classic quiche recipe. The vibrant colors and flavors of this delicious quiche are sure to become a family favorite.
Being an impressive centerpiece, this roasted vegetable quiche also makes a gorgeous Christmas main for vegetarians.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Yield: Serves 6
- 2 sheets (12 ounces) frozen ready-rolled shortcrust pastry, partially thawed
- 500g butternut pumpkin, peeled, cubed
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), deseeded & thickly sliced
- 1 bunch of aparagus, cut into segments, woody ends discarded
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt & pepper to season
- ***BASIC QUICHE MIX***
- 5 eggs
- 200ml whole milk
- 100ml pouring cream
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Special equipment: deep, 10" (24cm) (base), loose-based fluted flan tin
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Place a baking tray in oven.
- Use pastry to line base and side the fluted flan tin. Gently press the pastry up against the sides, making sure there are no air bubbles. Trim to fit. Prick base with a fork. Place in freezer for 15 minutes or until firm.
- Line pastry with foil and add baking beads or uncooked rice. Place tin in oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven. Carefully remove foil and baking beads and set pastry case aside to cool.
- Spread out vegetables in a large baking dish. Mix well in oil and season with salt and pepper.Roast in the oven for about 25-30 minutes until very slightly charred. Set aside and cool slightly, separate the onion layers.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs with the milk and cream. Stir in the cheeses, parsley and season with salt. Transfer egg mixture to a jug.
- Spread the vegetables over the bottom of the pastry case and carefully pour the egg mixture. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until just set.
- Serve with a simple green salad.