Homemade mayonnaise -- you may ask "why bother?" but once you've tried it, it's hard to go back to the store-bought variety.
This basic mayonnaise recipes begins with a base of two egg yolks and a little mustard. The slow addition of vegetable oil by whisking creates creamy mayonnaise. Next you can add anything from fresh herbs, to anchovies to garlic.
Check out these easy step-by-step instructions for making basic mayonnaise.
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp mustard
- 150 mls vegetable oil
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp chopped dill (optional)
- 2 tsp chopped chives (optional)
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped gherkin (optional)
- 1/2 Tbsp finely chopped anchovies (optional)
- **Makes approximately 150 mls
- Have all your ingredients ready. Combine the egg yolks and mustard in a clean bowl. Whisk vigorously for 30 seconds. Slowly add the oil a few drops at a time, while continuing to whisk vigorously. The mixture will thicken and become creamy like store-bought mayo.
- When you've added about 80 mls of the oil to the yolks, add the vinegar to the mixture and continue to whisk. This will lighten the color of the mayo. Season with 1/2 tsp of salt and add add remaining oil slowly while continuing to whisk.
- Now you have basic mayonnaise. You can make derivatives by adding ingredients such as finely chopped fresh herbs, finely chopped anchovies, finely chopped gherkins or spanish onion or finely chopped garlic. The possibilities are endless.