Green peas burst with nutrients such as A, B1, C and K. They're also an excellent source of iron and protein.
In this recipe the sweetness of baby peas is celebrated in a delicious soup with fresh mint and basil. For something a little different, and optional, I add chorizo sausages to the soup for a little spice.
It's best to use frozen baby peas in this recipe rather than the canned variety as they retain their natural flavor and are lower in sodium.
- 4 medium chorizo sausages
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 large brown onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 5 cups of frozen baby peas
- 3 cups of vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup of low-fat milk
- 1 tsp sea salt & a pinch of black pepper
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
- Serves 4
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a fry-pan over a medium heat. Add the sausages and fry for about 2-3 minutes or until they start to brown slightly. Add 1/4 cup of water to the fry pan and cover. Turn heat down to medium-low and cook for about 5 minutes. Uncover the sausages and fry for another 2 minutes, or until evenly cooked on all sides. Remove sausages from fry-pan, cool and then slice and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large soup pot over a medium heat. Saute onions until translucent - about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for 30 seconds. Add the frozen peas and fry until soft, for about 5 minutes.
- Season peas with 1 teaspoon of sea salt and a pinch of black pepper. Add stock and milk and simmer gently for about 3 minutes.
- Add pea soup mixture to a blender in batches and puree. Make sure you hold down the lid of the blender so the soup doesn't fly out the top.
- Pour pureed soup back into soup pot and simmer gently over a medium heat for 3 minutes. Add finely chopped fresh herbs and stir well. Simmer for another 3-4 minutes.
- Ladle into soup bowls place several slices of sausage in each bowl. Serve for fresh bread if desired.