Tired of boring side dishes? This is a universally popular dish that both adults and children will love.
Carrots are basted with melted butter and sprinkled with brown sugar and pepper before being roasted until soft and caramelised.
This is a perfect side dish to accompany roast chicken or beef. It could also be served with a chickpea salad and couscous as part of a vegetarian meal. Either way, do not expect any leftovers!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 bunch carrots, peeled
- 2 tbspn. butter, melted
- 1 tbspn. brown sugar
- Black pepper, to taste
- Sea salt flakes, to taste
- Parsley or coriander to garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Slice the larger carrots into two length-wise so that all the pieces are roughly the same size. You may need to quarter extra large carrots.
3. Line a baking tray with tinfoil and arrange carrots neatly on the tray, making sure they don’t overlap.
4. Brush melted butter onto the carrots (easy with a silicon pastry brush) and then sprinkle them with brown sugar before giving them a good grind of black pepper to finish.
5. Bake in the oven for around 25 minutes or until soft and beginning to brown.
6. Sprinkle with crushed sea salt flakes and garnish with parsley or coriander.