Watercress & Avocado Salad is a great accompaniment to almost any summer meal.
The layers of flavor and textures in this recipe are so complementary that they are quite dazzling. The addition of pink grapefruit adds a sweet tartness to the peppery bite of the watercress and the rich, creamy avocado.
The dressing is simply olive oil, white wine vinegar, white sugar, garlic and Dijon mustard all mixed together. You only need to drizzle a little on the salad as it's packed with so much flavor in itself.
It is important to use white wine vinegar as it has a more rounded taste than plain white vinegar.
- 2 large bunches of watercress
- 1-2 ripe avocados, peeled
- 1 pink grapefruit, peeled
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 Tbsp of white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp of white sugar
- 1 Tbsp of Dijon mustard
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- Wash the watercress and then pull off all the leaves and small stems and place them in a bowl. Set aside. Discard the thick stems.
- In a separate bowl mix together the oil, vinegar, sugar, Dijon mustard, garlic and salt. Stir quickly with a fork to emulsify the liquid. Set aside.
- Cut the avocado in half and discard the skin and seed. Chop avocado into bite-sized pieces or slice thinly.
- Cut and quarter the grapefruit and then slice to desired size.
- Add the avocado and grapefruit to the watercress and drizzle on some dressing.
- Gently toss the ingredients and then serve immediately.