Strawberries are often relegated to appear only in desserts but their aromatic flavor also lends itself well to more savory salads.
In this recipe mixed greens are given a twist with the addition of succulent strawberries, slivers of green apple and toasted pinenuts. The dressing is a simple combination of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
If you have a hard cheese like a Gruyere or a cheddar handy, add a couple of slivers into the mix.
- Mixed salad greens for two
- 6 medium strawberries, washed and sliced
- 1/2 green apple, washed and cut into slivers
- 1/4 cup of pinenuts
- Slivers of Gruyere or cheddar cheese if handy
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Balsamic vinegar for drizzling
- Serves 2
- Place the mixed greens, sliced strawberries, slivered apple and cheese into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Place the pinenuts in a small fry-pan. Toast over a medium-high heat. Give the pan a shake to ensure that the nuts cook on all sides. Once they start to brown slightly remove from heat immediately.
- Let the nuts cool slightly and then add them to the mixing bowl.
- Drizzle on some extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar and then serve.