This spicy Thai chicken salad with butternut squash is a great appetizer or a meal in itself.
Ground chicken is stir-fried and then tossed in lime juice, coriander, mint and chilis and served with butternut squash and crispy romaine lettuce -- a quick, healthy and satisfying meal.
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled & cut into quarters
- 300 grams of ground (minced) chicken
- 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 green onion
- 1 Tbsp Thai fish sauce
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- 2 Tbsp of finely chopped mint
- 1 Tbsp of finely chopped coriander (cilantro)
- 1 small red chili
- Cos or Romaine lettuce leaves for 2, washed and dried
- Steam or boil the squash until tender but firm, for about 20-25 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, cut the squash into small bite-sized cubes and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken and break up lumps with a wooden spoon. Fry chicken, stirring occasionally, for 6 or 7 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer chicken to a mixing bowl.
- Slice the green onion and add it to the chicken along with the butternut squash, fish sauce, lime juice, mint, coriander and chili. Stir well to coat and combine ingredients. Taste and add a little more fish sauce or lime juice if necessary.
- Arrange lettuce leaves in two serving bowls and spoon chicken mixture on top of the leaves. Garnish with herbs and serve immediately.