Tired of making the same old salad every time?
Showcasing the gorgeous flavours and textures of ruby grapefruit, honeydew melon and proscuitto, this colourful salad is anything but ordinary.
It looks and tastes special, and would work equally well as the first course of a dinner party, or as a side dish to roasted or grilled fish or meat.
Tip: if you can't find ruby grapefruit you could substitue with blood orange.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 ruby grapefruit
- 1/2 ripe honey dew melon (see note below)
- 150 grams mixed lettuce leaves, washed (including radiccio for preference)
- 6 slices procuitto
- 1/4 red onion, sliced thinly (optional)
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tsps red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp honey
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Peel grapefruit and separate segments.
- Peel membrane off each grapefruit segment and then cut into mid-sized pieces.
- Using a melon baller, make balls of melon.
- Lay a bed of lettuce in a suitable salad bowl.
- Top with grapefruit segments and melon balls.
- Tear the proscuitto into small pieces and arrange on top.
- Sprinkle with red onion slices if using.
- To make dressing, mix olive oil, vinegar and honey in a small jar.
- Pour over salad just before serving and toss to combine.
- Finish with grind of black pepper. Add salt if desired, remembering that the proscuitto is already a salty element to the salad.
Tips on choosing a honeydew melon:
- Choose fruit that has an aromatic, fragrant smell.
- Choose firm fruit with no blemishes, bruising or soft spots.
- Try gently thumping the melon. A good melon should produce a deep, solid sound.