Try something deliciously different with this roasted potato salad. Bite-sized pieces of potato are roasted until they're golden and then tossed with a homemade herbed mayonnaise.
You can use any herbs you have handy including basil, mint, cilantro (coriander) or parsley.
In this recipe, I make mayonnaise the old fashioned way, using a whisk. I could use a blender however there's something satisfying about whisking the mixture and watching the yolks and oil emulsify before my eyes to become creamy mayonnaise.
- 3-4 large potatoes, washed, peeled
- 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil
- Sea salt for seasoning
- ***HERBED MAYONNAISE***
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp mustard
- 100 mls vegetable oil
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- Juice from 1/4 lemon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp chopped dill
- 2 tsp chopped chives
- 1 endive, leaves separated
- Special equipment: baking tray, baking paper, wire whisk
- Serves 2
- Pre-heat the oven to 390F (200C).
- Cut the potato into even, bite-sized cubes. Pat dry with paper towels to remove any moisture. Toss cubed potatoes in 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and 1/2 tsp of salt. Mix well to coat.
- Line the baking tray with baking paper and spread potato cubes out on the tray. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until soft in the middle and lightly golden on the outside.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Make the mayonnaise. In a clean metal bowl, combine the egg yolks and mustard. Whisk vigorously for 30 seconds. Slowly add the oil a few drops at a time, while continuing to whisk vigorously. The mixture will thicken and become creamy.
- When you've added about 80 mls of the oil to the yolks, add the vinegar to the mixture and continue to whisk. Season with 1/2 tsp of salt and add the lemon juice. Keep whisking and slowly add the remaining oil.
- Finally, add the fresh herbs and whisk to combine.
- Ensure that the roasted potatoes are cooled before adding the mayonnaise otherwise it will split.
- Place cooled roasted potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Add 3-4 tablespoons of mayonnaise and stir well to coat the potatoes.
- Arrange several endive leaves in two serving bowls and divide the roasted potato salad amongst the bowls. Serve immediately.
- Refrigerate any extra mayonnaise straight away in a clean, airtight container for 1-2 days.