This tasty quinoa, tuna and chickpea salad is a firm favorite in my household.
Fluffy quinoa is tossed with tuna, chickpeas, baby spinach, cilantro, mint, celery, spring onions and baby tomatoes. The dressing is a combination of extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and garlic. The flavors are wonderful and the salad easily makes a meal in itself.
Before cooking it, the quinoa first needs to be soaked in boiled water for 5 minutes and then washed thoroughly under cold running water. This helps to get rid of its sometimes bitter outer coating.
- 1 200 gram can of tuna, drained
- 1/2 cup of quinoa -- plus 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 2 cups of loosely packed baby spinach
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 1/3 cup of finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup of chopped cilantro (coriander)
- 1/3 cup of chopped mint
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 8 baby tomatoes, quartered
- 1 medium clove of garlic, grated
- 2 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- A pinch of sea salt
- Add the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and whisk with a fork. Set aside.
- Place quinoa in a small, heat-proof bowl. Cover with 1 cup of boiling water and soak for 5 minutes. Use a sieve to drain it and then give the quinoa a good wash under cold, running water. Run your fingers though it while you wash it.
- Place quinoa in a small saucepan and add 1 cup of water and 1/2 tsp of sea salt. Bring to the boil then lower heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the water has been absorbed. Remove quinoa from heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes with lid on.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the tuna, spinach, chickpeas, celery, cilantro, mint, spring onions and baby tomatoes.
- Fluff the quinoa gently with a fork and then add to the salad ingredients. Add the dressing and then stir well with to coat ingredients.
- Divide salad between 2 large bowls and serve.