A fresh and delicious Italian tomato and bread salad with capsicum, asparagus, white anchovies and coriander. All tossed in a red wine vinegar and garlic dressing.
Marinated white anchovies can be found in delis or gourmet shops. They add a sweet, salty and tangy kick to salads.
- 4 slices of ciabatta or sourdough bread, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 10 asparagus spears, woody ends trimmed
- 1 punnet of red cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 punnet of small yellow tomatoes, halved
- 1 yellow capsicum, sliced with seeds and white membrane discarded
- 1/2 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 8 marinated white anchovies, chopped
- 1/3 cup loosely packed coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 60ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Fry bread, shaking the pan around to brown on both sides until lightly toasted.
- Steam asparagus for about 3-4 minutes or until tender but firm. Cool under in cold water then drain and cut into segments.
- Place croutons, asparagus, tomatoes, capsicum, Spanish onion, anchovies and coriander in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Make the dressing by combining extra virgin olive oil. red wine vinegar and garlic together in a small bowl. Use a fork to whisk well then add several spoonfuls to salad.
- Toss salad well then season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.