Serve this elegant and delicious recipe of grilled mushrooms and asparagus topped with poached egg as an appetizer or a satisfying main.
- 4 flat field mushrooms
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt &freshly ground pepper for seasoning
- 1 or 2 fresh, room temperature eggs for poaching
- 1/4 cup good quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes
- 1 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Pre-heat barbecue or grill to medium-high heat. Place mushrooms and asparagus in a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Shake tray around to coat ingredients in oil. Season with salt and pepper. If cooking on barbecue, cook for 3 minutes on each side or until just tender. If cooking under grill, cook for 8-10 minutes until cooked. Transfer mushrooms and asparagus to a plate and cover with foil.
- In the meantime, poach egg/s. Add vinegar to a deep frying pan or saucepan filled with water (about 8cm deep) and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and bring to a gentle simmer. Crack 1 egg onto a small saucer. Use a large spoon to stir the water to create a whirlpool. Gently slide the egg into the middle of the whirlpool and poach for 1 to 2 minutes for a soft egg, or until cooked to your liking. Use a slotted spoon to transfer egg to a plate. Cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm and repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Prepare dressing. Combine dressing ingredients and whisk for 20 seconds until mixed well.
- Place vegetables on a large plate. Drizzle with dressing. Top with poached egg/s. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.