The caprese & avocado salad is one that I turn to when I'm in a hurry and feel like something light and nutritious. I call it my healthy "fast food" recipe.
I use Italian Buffalo mozzarella which, as the name indicates, is made from buffalo milk rather than cows' milk. The semi-soft cheese is available at most Italian delis.
- 15 baby tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 ball of Buffalo mozarella, torn into small pieces
- Sweet Basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1/8 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp of sea salt
- A pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the salad ingredients in a mixing bowl and toss. Set aside.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing together the oil and lemon juice. Whisk with a fork to fully combine and emulsify the oil and juice. Add the garlic, salt and pepper and whisk again for 30 seconds.
- Pour a little dressing over the salad and toss to coat ingredients.
- Serve and drizzle on a little more dressing if you need to.