The Caesar salad is quite possibly of the most common and loved salads around. And what's not to love about the Caesar? Crispy Romaine lettuce lightly coated in a creamy dressing, topped with soft-boiled eggs, crispy bacon, crunchy croutons and parmesan cheese. Sounds delicious.
The Caesar salad dressing is so easy to make and once you've tried homemade dressing you won't go back to the store-bought kind.
- 3 slices of white or brown bread, crusts removed
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 rashers of rindless bacon, chopped
- 1 large Cos or Romaine lettuce, leaves washed & patted dry
- Fresh Parmesan cheese for grating
- 3 eggs for boiling
- ***CAESAR DRESSING***
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 anchovies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp of Dijon mustard
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped and crushed
- 100 mls of vegetable oil
- 10 mls white wine vinegar
- Serves 4
- Cut the bread into 1cm cubes. Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium-low heat. Gently fry the bread for about 4-5 minutes, turning occasionally, until crisp and golden. Remove bread with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Fry the bacon in the same pan over a medium-low heat until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, boil the eggs starting in cold water. Once the water reaches a rolling boil, boil for 3-6 minutes depending on how you want your eggs cooked -- soft boiled or hard boiled. Peel and set aside.
- Make the mayonnaise. Place the egg yolks, chopped anchovies, mustard and garlic in a large mixing bowl. Whisk vigorously to combine ingredients. Slowly add the oil a few drops at a time, while continuing to whisk vigorously. The mixture will thicken. Add the vinegar and whisk again. The dressing should have the consistency of whipping cream. If it is too thick, add a teaspoon of warm water and whisk.
- Roughly but evenly chop the lettuce and place in a large mixing bowl. Add 4-5 tablespoons of the dressing and toss well to coat the lettuce. Add the croutons and bacon and toss again. Cut the boiled eggs into quarters.
- Divide salad into four serving bowls and top with boiled egg quarters. Grate on some parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
- Any left over Caesar dressing should be refrigerated immediately and can be kept for 1-2 days.