This gorgeously fresh and simple salad of white asparagus, orange and arugula is dressed with red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and garlic.
It pairs wonderfully with grilled fish or chicken dishes.
- 2 bunches of white asparagus, trimmed
- 2 oranges, peeled
- 1 1/2 (loosely-packed) cups of arugula (roquette)
- 1/2 Spanish onion, sliced into thin rings
- 60 ml good quality, extra virgin olive oil
- 30 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- A pinch of sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Use a sharp knife to slice the pith off the oranges and discard. Slice the oranges into segments and place in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Blanch the asparagus (1 to 2 minutes), then refresh in a bowl of cold water, drain and halve length-ways.
- Add asparagus to orange segments along with the onion rings and arugula.
- Whisk red wine vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl to combine, toss through salad. Serve immediately.