Chai tea is becoming increasingly popular in cafes around the world.
Originating from the Indian subcontinent, chai is made from brewing black tea leaves with a mixture of aromatic spices. In this case, cardamom, cinnamon and fennel seeds.
The amount of sugar you add is optional however I love my chai hot and sweet.
- 4 tsp black tea
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 6 cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 cup of milk
- 5 1/2 cups of water
- Sugar to taste (I use 1/4 cup)
- Break cinnamon stick in half. Add to saucepan with fennel seeds and cardamom pods.
- Add water to the saucepan and bring to the boil over high heat.
- Add tea and keep boiling for 1 minute.
- Add milk and bring to the boil again. Add sugar to taste. I usually add 1/4 cup of sugar and maybe a tablespoon more. Stir well.
- Strain tea into a metal bowl or jug and then strain again. Serve in heatproof glasses or cups.