Here, the simple sausage roll has been transformed into a moreish party snack with the inclusion of a Moroccan paste called "Harissa" and various herbs and spices.
Check out some simple step-by-step instructions on how to prepare a sausage roll for starting this recipe.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 250 grams of ground lamb
- 2 lamb sausages, meat sqeezed out into a bowl
- 1/4 cup of parsley, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp of cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp of ground ginger root
- 1/2 tsp of ground cumin
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- A pinch of ground black pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil
- 4-5 sheets of frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten for brushing
- 1 egg for meat mixture
- 1 tsp of Harissa paste
- Sesame seeds
- Thaw the puff pastry and set the oven to 350F.
- Line a baking sheet with greased paper.
- In a large bowl mix together the ground lamb and meat from the sausages.
- Add the garlic, onion, parsley, and cilantro to the meat and mix well. Next, add the spices, salt and pepper. Mix again.
- Add the mixture to a blender or food processor and add the olive oil and 1 egg. Blend until mixture becomes relatively smooth.
- Meanwhile, cut the pastry into squarish rectangles and brush one edge with beaten egg.
- Put some sausage mixture into the middle of the pastry.
- Fold the pastry over and seal it carefully. Lift the whole thing up and turn it over so that the sealed edge is underneath.
- Snip the ends of the sausage roll to ensure that it is neat and that meat isn't falling out. Repeat the process.
- Brush the tops of the sausage rolls with beaten egg and then sprinkle on sesame seeds.
- Place the rolls on the lined baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with tomato sauce or Thai sweet chilli sauce.