This traditional pot pie makes for a delicious family meal using tender chicken thighs, carrots, potato, fresh corn and leeks. You can put just about any vegetable in there!
This recipe uses frozen pie dough for the topping so there's no fuss with having to make your own pastry either.
- 12 oz. (350 grams) skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 medium leek, rinsed well, trimmed and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernals
- 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tsp freshly chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1-2 sheets pie pastry, cut into rounds slightly bigger than ramekins/baking dish
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- Tomato sauce, for serving (optional)
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over a medium heat. Saute leeks for 1 minute. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken and cook for 2 minutes. Add the carrot, potatoes and corn and stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add the salt and milk. Stir well. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the dissolved cornstarch and stir well. Continue to simmer for another 5 minutes while the liquid thickens. Taste and add more salt if necessary.
- Spoon the mixture into 4 small ramekins (or a 1-quart baking dish). Let sit for about 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Place the pastry rounds over the ramekins and press the dough down the sides. Brush the tops with a little milk and then place in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until tops are golden.
- Serve with tomato sauce on the side, if desired.