Try out a quick and tasty pasta dish of penne with juicy shrimp and roasted vegetables tossed in a pesto sauce.
If you don't have time to make your own pesto, store-bought pesto will work just as well in this recipe.
- 20 medium shrimp, shelled & deveined
- 2 medium, red peppers (capsicums), quartered & deseeded
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into 1" rounds
- 10 asparagus stalks
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil for drizzling
- Penne pasta for 2
- 4 Tbsp of pesto
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of pasta water kept aside
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
- Parmigiano Reggiano cheese for grating
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F (180C). Place the vegetables in a large baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 15 minutes or until tender. Keep an eye on the asparagus and only roast it for about 10 minutes. Remove vegetables from oven and set aside.
- Boil some water in a saucepan and cook penne according to packet instructions. Reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water and set aside.
- Drain pasta and place in a large mixing bowl with the roasted vegetables and 1 tablespoon of pesto. Mix well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a fry-pan over a medium heat. Add the remaining pesto. Once it starts to fry gently, add the shrimp. Cook shrimp until they curl and turn pink, about 3 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of pasta water and stir. Next add shrimp and liquid from the pan to the penne pasta. Toss well to combine then season with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, grate on some Parmigino Reggiano cheese.