This anchovy pasta recipe is very simple and the toasted breadcrumbs make it really substantial.
In fact, you don't even need pesto! You can simply enjoy a rustic bowl spaghetti with anchovies, breadcrumbs and olive oil.
- 10 anchovy filets
- Angel hair spaghetti for 2
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 brown onion, finely chopped
- 4-5 Tbsp of garlic scape pesto (see recipe) or normal pesto
- 1/4 tsp dried chili flakes
- 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs for toasting
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from 1/4 lemon
- Freshly grated Parmigino Reggiano
- Heat 1/4 cup of olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Sweat the onions for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent. Add the dried chili flakes and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Turn the heat down to low and add the anchovies. Mash with the back of a fork. Cook for 5 minutes to blend flavors; season with salt and pepper. Next, add the pesto and stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Dry toast the breadcrumbs in a small frying pan over a medium heat until golden. Keep an eye on them as they can burn very easily. Once toasted, transfer the breadcrumbs into a small bowl and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Add pasta to the anchovy/pesto mixture and toss well to coat. Add a little pasta water to loosen the mixture if necessary. Squeeze on the lemon juice and toss again.
- Divide the pasta evenly amongst two serving bowls and sprinkle on the toasted breadcrumbs. Top with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and serve immediately.