Vanilla sugar not only makes a wonderful food gift but is also just great to have in the pantry. I use it to sweeten my tea and occasionally to flavor cakes and cookies.
I tend to make vanilla sugar using raw sugar however it also works well with white or berry sugar.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 vanilla pod
- 2 cups brown or white granulated sugar
- Special equipment: sealable jar or bottle (2 cup capacity)
- Use a small, sharp knife to slice vanilla pod in half lengthways. Scrape out the seeds and place into jar. Add half the sugar and use a fork to mix well.
- Place the vanilla pod in the jar and add the remaining sugar. Seal tightly and let the vanilla sugar sit for 2 weeks.
- After this time use the vanilla sugar as you would regular sugar.