There are hundreds of interesting varieties of flavored salt.
In this recipe, sea salt is infused with dried lemon zest, fennel seeds and dried chili flakes.
Flavored salt can be used to season salads and roast vegetable, or meat and seafood dishes. It also makes a wonderful and easy food gift idea.
- Zest from 3-4 lemons
- 1/2 cup of Maldon Salt flakes
- 2 tsp dried chili flakes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fennel seeds
- Special equipment: sterilized air-tight jar
- Pre-heat oven to 300F (150C).
- Zest lemons and spread out zest on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes to dry it out. Shake the tray half way through to ensure even drying.
- Remove oven from tray from oven and allow zest to cool on tray. Air dry for a further 30 minutes.
- Combine salt, lemon zest, fennel seeds and dried chili together in a mixing bowl. Use a metal spoon to mix well.
- Store flavored salt in a clean, dry and airtight jar.