Warm yourself with a bowl of delicious chorizo sausage stew with baby potatoes and cannellini beans.
Chorizo is a Spanish pork sausage that has a distinct smokiness and red color about it. Its delicious flavors work wonderfully in this hearty stew. Chorizo can also be substituted with spicy Italian sausages.
It's quite nice to serve slices of crusty French bread with the stew to mop up the delicious sauce.
- 5 chorizo sausages (10.5 oz. or 300gm)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 baby potatoes, halved
- 1 (28 oz) can Italian tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 (16 oz) can cannellini beans, drained
- 1/2 cup water
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- French bread for mopping up sauce (optional)
- Par-boil the potatoes for 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Use a fork to poke some holes in the sausages. This allows the fat to run out. Fry the sausages in about 1 tablespoon of olive oil over a medium-heat until they're cooked. Cooking time is dependent on the size of the sausage. Set aside to cool and then cut into 1 inch slices.
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil over a medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic, salt and chili flakes and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped canned tomatoes and juice from the can, stir well and gently simmer for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and cannellini beans and stir again.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and cover the pot. Simmer for 25 minutes. After this time, add the sausage slices and stir well. Add the parsley and stir again.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes and taste. Add a little more salt if necessary.
- Serve in bowls with a crusty bread to mop up the sauce.