Sometimes it's fun to spend hours in the kitchen making a special dish. Other times you just want to cook dinner without too much fuss and bother.
This recipe -- Easy Sausage Casserole -- is most definitely in the latter category. You simply fry some onions and garlic, and then mix them with sausages, potatoes and herbs and bake in the oven for 40 minutes. It's got to be one of the simplest and easiest ways to get dinner on the table.
This recipe is popular with both adults and kids, making it a great family-friendly option.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced finely
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chicken or beef stock
- 6 pork and veal sausages (Italian style, preferably)
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into medium pieces
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into medium pieces
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Heat up a large fry pan and add oil.
- Fry onions and garlic over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until starting to soften, stirring all the time.
- Add stock and bay leaf and then simmer for another three minutes.
- Meanwhile, add sausages and potatoes to baking tray and toss with olive oil – use your fingers to ensure all are covered with oil.
- Add onion mixture to pan and mix well.
- Sprinkle over fresh herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast in the oven for around 40 minutes or until sausages and brown and vegetables are cooked through and nicely browned.