If you love lemon curd or passionfruit curd try this gorgeous strawberry curd. The exquisite strawberry flavor is dazzling.
It's an irresistible treat perfect for enjoying on toast, as a cheesecake topping, stirred through whipped cream, as a spongecake filling or drizzled over breakfast crepes.
Strawberry curd makes a wonderful food gift and lasts up to two months in the refrigerator.
- 500g (1lb) strawberries, washed, hulled & halved
- 100g (3 1/2 oz) white granulated sugar
- 60g (2 oz) salted butter, roughly chopped
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Special equipment: 2 freshly sterilized 350ml sealable jars
- Place strawberries plus 2 Tbsp of water in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Cover and bring to the boiling point. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the strawberries are really soft.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer strawberries to mesh sieve. Place sieve over a clean, heatproof bowl and use the back of a spoon to push strawberries through the mesh sieve. Keep pressing the pull through. Add the pulp into the strained strawberry liquid.
- Place the heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water on medium heat. Make sure the bowl fits snugly and that the water doesn't touch the bottom of the bowl. Add the sugar, beaten eggs and butter to the bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until the butter melts. Continue to stir constantly for about 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat up and continue to stir for another 10 minutes. It's important to keep stirring otherwise the mixture could curdle.
- Stir for another few minutes or until the mixture thickens. Turn off the heat and stir again. Carefully pour mixture into hot sterilized jars and seal.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.