Toasted muesli an easy-to-make and delicious breakfast recipe. The best thing is that it can be made in large batches and stored for up to a month in an airtight container.
The muesli is made of rolled oats combined with a mixture of nuts, seeds, desiccated coconut, honey and a little canola oil. The ingredients are toasted in the oven for about 10 minutes. Once the mixture has cooled you can add some dried fruit like chopped apricots or dried cranberries.
It's important to keep an eye on the toasting muesli to make sure it doesn't burn and stir it every couple of minutes to ensure it cooks evenly.
- 3 cups of rolled oats
- ¼ cup of sunflower seeds
- ½ cup of slivered almonds
- ¼ cup of hazelnuts
- ½ cup of desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup of pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup of honey
- 1 ½ tbs of canola oil
- ½ cup of dried cranberries or apricots, roughly chopped
- Milk and or yogurt to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 300F.
- Heat the honey and vegetable oil in a small saucepan over a low heat. Gently simmer for 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the rolled oats, the nuts, the seeds and the coconut.
- Add the warm honey mixture to the bowl and stir well to coat the dry ingredients.
- Spoon the oats onto a large rimmed baking sheet and spread out.
- Bake the ingredients for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Add the dried fruit and stir to combine.
- Serve with milk and/or yogurt.
- Store muesli in an airtight container for up to a month.