Enjoy this rhubarb and strawberry compote with porridge, ice-cream, custard or yogurt.
This recipe is so simple and takes only a few minutes to prepare. The rhubarb and strawberries are gently poached with a vanilla bean, castor sugar and water.
The tart, earthiness of the rhubarb is balanced by with sweet, plump strawberries and fragrant vanilla bean. The vanilla bean can be substituted with 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence.
- 1 bunch of rhubarb
- 8-10 strawberries, hulled & quartered
- 1/4 cup & 1 Tbsp of castor (berry) sugar
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1 vanilla bean
- Serves 2
- Slice off the tough stalks and leaves and discard. Cut the rhubarb into 2" (5cm) pieces.
- Place rhubarb, strawberries, vanilla bean, castor sugar and water in a saucepan. Gently heat over a medium-low heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Cover and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Remove the vanilla bean and slice it in half. Slice one half open length-ways and use the tip of a sharp knife to scrape out the little seeds. Place the seeds in the saucepan and gently stir with a wooden spoon. Simmer for another minute and then transfer fruit and liquid to a dish to cool. The Rhubarb should be tender but not falling apart, unless you like it that way.
- Serve rhubarb and strawberry compote with porridge, ice-cream, custard or recipe of choice.
- Use a damp paper towel to wipe the remaining half of the vanilla bean. Place it in a small, plastic zip-lock bag to use it again.