Porridge is a healthy and hearty way to start the day and will usually keep you going until lunchtime.
This recipe uses standard rolled oats boiled with milk or water, a pinch of salt and cinnamon. The porridge is then topped with sliced banana, honey and a sprinkle of raisins.
For some extra protein, add a handful of nuts such as almonds, macadamia nuts or pecans.
The cooking time will vary depending on the types of oats you use. Basically, the rule is the finer the oats, the quicker the cooking time.
- 1 cup pf standard rolled oats
- 350 mls of water or milk, or a mix of both
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- Honey for drizzling
- 1 banana, peeled & sliced
- A handful of raisins or dried fruit
- Extra milk to serve
- Add the oats and milk/water to a small saucepan. Bring to the boil over a medium heat. Simmer for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the salt and cinnamon and stir well.
- Spoon porridge into bowls and top with sliced banana and dried fruit. Add about 1/4 cup of milk and then drizzle on some honey.