With an abundance of passionfruit around the recipe that always pops into my mind is for creamy passionfruit butter. It's so simple to prepare and is a wonderful way to enjoy the tropical fruit.
Passionfruit butter is also known as "passionfruit curd" and can be enjoyed on a piece of toast for breakfast or used as a pastry filling or to ice a cake.
It's best to use fresh passionfruit pulp however the canned variety will also work well.
- 1/2 cup of passionfruit pulp
- 2 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of castor (berry) sugar
- 125 grams (1/2 cup) butter
- 4 extra large eggs, lightly beaten
- Special equipment: Sterilized Airtight jar for 1 cup of passionfruit butter
- Place a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of water. Make sure the bottom of the bowl isn't touching the water. Bring water to the boil over a medium heat.
- Turn heat down to medium-low. Add butter and sugar to bowl and stir with a wooden spoon to melt and combine.
- Mix together passionfruit pulp, lemon juice and eggs in a small mixing bowl. Add to butter/sugar mixture and stir continuously with a wooden spoon until mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon. This should take about 10-12 minutes over a medium-low heat.
- Once thickened, remove bowl from heat and allow butter to cool completely before storing in sterilized airtight jar.
- Refrigerate to store.