This is my take on a breakfast from one of my favorite Bondi Beach cafes -- poached eggs and sauteed mushrooms on Turkish toast with ricotta and a baked tomato.
The makings of a perfect weekend brekkie.
Turkish bread is a type of flat bread used for gourmet toasted sandwiches or great as a pizza base. It can be substituted with anything you have handy but something like Ciabatta or sourdough would also work well.
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 4 cups of small button mushrooms of roughly equal size
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 1 ripe Roma tomato, halved length-ways
- 1/4 tsp of fresh or dried thyme leaves
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Turkish toast for 2
- 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese
- Serves 2
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F (180C). Place the tomato in a baking dish and drizzle with a little olive oil. Sprinkle on a little salt, pepper and the thyme leaves. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, saute the mushrooms. Heat a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Swirl the pan around to coat it. Once the oil starts to swirl and smoke very slightly, add the mushrooms and move the pan around to coat the mushrooms. Add some salt and pepper and keep moving the mushrooms around. Add about 2 tablespoons of water. Saute the mushrooms for about 4 minutes then add the garlic. Keep the pan moving and add a little more water if it gets dry. Turn the heat down to medium and cook mushrooms for another 2-3 minutes until they are slightly golden on their tops. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Now prepare the eggs. Add vinegar to a deep frying pan or saucepan filled with water (about 8cm deep) and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and bring to a gentle simmer with barely perceptible bubbles. Crack 1 egg onto a small saucer. Use a large spoon to stir the water to create a whirlpool. Gently slide the egg into the middle of the whirlpool and poach for 1 to 2 minutes for a soft egg, or until cooked to your liking. Use a slotted spoon to transfer egg to a plate. Cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm and repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Slice and toast the Turkish toast and spread on the ricotta cheese. Divide between two serving plates. Top with mushrooms, 2 poached eggs each and one baked tomato each. Serve immediately.