This tasty and chewy muesli bar is delicious, simple to prepare and packed full of nutritious nuts.
You can add all sorts of nuts and dried fruit into the mix. In this particular recipe I use raw pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, desiccated coconut, dried, unsweetened cranberries and sesame and flax seeds.
All the ingredients are bound together by a mixture of butter, honey and a little brown sugar. The muesli bars can be kept in an airtight container for at least a week -- if they haven't already been eaten of course!
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1 cup of unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup of wheatgerm
- 1/4 cup of sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup of sunflower kernals
- 1/2 cup of raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup of dried, unsweetened cranberries
- 1/4 of flax seeds
- 100 grams of butter (just under 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 1/8 cup of brown sugar
- Baking or waxed paper
- Grease and line a square baking tin with baking paper. Set aside.
- Cook the oats, coconut, wheatgerm, sesame seeds, sunflower kernels and pumpkin seeds in a fry pan over low to medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until golden. Be careful not to burn the mixture. Transfer to a metal bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Stir in the cranberries and flax seeds.
- Cook the butter, honey and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly for for 3 to 4 minutes or until sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to low. Simmer, without stirring, for 5 minutes. Add butter mixture to dry ingredients. Stir well until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin. Use a large metal spoon to press the mixture down firmly and evenly.
- Allow to cool and then cut into squares or rectangles.
- The bars can be stored in a foil-lined airtight container for up to a week.