Making homemade jam is one of the easiest things to do and the possibilities are endless.
This recipe uses the flavorful kiwi fruit with a hint of lime juice and zest.
When making the jam, use just-ripe kiwi fruit to allow for the fruit's natural pectin to be at its highest levels. This will reduce the cooking time of the jam and also help it to set naturally.
The tangy jam is delicious with a little butter on toast and a cup of tea. If you're feeling adventurous, you could also use the jam as an accompaniment to a hard cheese with some cracker.
- 5 ripe kiwi fruit, peeled & chopped
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/4 lime, juiced
- 1/8 tsp lime zest
- Peel the kiwi fruit, cut into quarters and then chop roughly.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the kiwi fruit and sugar over a low heat.
- Simmer gently until the sugar dissolves stirring occasionally. Add the lime juice and zest.
- Once the sugar has dissolved turn the heat up and bring the mixture to a rapid boil for about 10 minutes. Stir frequently and be sure not to let the mixture burn.
- Spoon jam into a sterilized, air-tight jar and refrigerate. The jam can be kept up to a month.
- Spread jam on hot buttered toast and serve with a cup of tea.