A "Dippy Egg" is a soft boiled egg served with slices of vegemite toast. The term "Vegemite Soldiers" was supposedly given to the toast because the slices resembled soldiers in formation.
For Soft Boiled Eggs -- place extra large eggs in a small saucepan and add just enough cold water to cover them.Cook them on a high heat and bring them to boil. Let the eggs boil for 1 minute and 20 seconds or 9 1/2 minutes after you first started cooking them.
For harder eggs, let them boil 3 minutes after the water starts to boil.
- 4 extra large, free-range eggs
- 4 pieces of wholewheat bread
- Vegemite or Marmite
- Place the eggs in a small saucepan. Add just enough cold water to cover them.
- Place the saucepan on a high heat and bring the boil. Once the water is at a rolling boil, time the eggs for desired doneness -- 1 minute 20 seconds for a runny yolk or 3 minutes for a firmer yolk.
- Meanwhile toast the bread. Spread on some butter and vegemite. Cut the toast into strips. Serve with boiled eggs and dip away!