Baked eggs are a great way to enjoy eggs for breakfast.
The eggs are baked in ramekins with spinach, feta cheese, a little cream and then topped with thinly sliced green onions.
You can always substitute spinach with other ingredients like bacon, ham, tomatoes or mushrooms.
- Olive oil to grease ramekins
- 4 large, free-range eggs
- 1 cup of loosely-packed chopped spinach (silverbeet)
- 2 Tbsp of cream or 1 Tbsp of butter
- 1/2 cup of low-fat feta cheese
- 2 spring onions (green shallots) ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Toasted wholemeal bread, cut into fingers, to serve 2
- 2 Ramekins or baking dishes to hold two eggs
- Pre-heat oven to 390F (200C). Brush the ramekins or baking dishes with a little oil to lightly grease.
- Line the dishes with chopped spinach. Crack one egg at a time over the spinach. Repeat with remaining ramekin.
- Pour the cream evenly among dishes. If you're using butter, chop it up with a knife and sprinkle it over the eggs. Sprinkle eggs with feta and shallots. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place dishes on a baking tray. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until eggs are cooked to your liking. Serve immediately with toast fingers.