Bacon and eggs are a favorite weekend breakfast the world over. The Australian version of this breakfast comes with the standard eggs, bacon and/or sausages.
The difference is a serving of baked beans.
Baked Beans are canned haricot beans that come in a sweetened tomato sauce. The most famous brand being Heniz.
Some restaurants will go to the trouble of making their own beans but I, like every other Australian, found these ones in a can -- just as nature intended.
- 4 large free-range, organic eggs
- 6 rashers of smoked bacon
- 4 slices of whole wheat bread
- 1 can of baked beans
- butter for the toast
- Place the baked beans in a medium pot over a moderate heat. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and gently simmer.
- Meanwhile, fry the bacon until desired crispness and then drain on paper towels.
- Fry the eggs last in the same pan used to fry the bacon.
- Toast the bread and spread on the butter. Place the eggs on top of the toast and add the bacon and a side of baked beans.