This simple and filling Thai red curry consists of ground beef, bamboo shoots and Thai basil. It makes a great no-fuss dinner and is ready in less than 30 minutes.
The beef can also be substituted with chicken or pork. Fresh or canned bamboo shoots can usually be found in good Asian grocery stores.
- 250gm lean ground beef
- 2 Tbsp red curry paste
- 1 400ml can coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of Thai basil leaves
- 2 fresh bamboo Shoots or 1 can of bamboo shoots
- Steamed rice for serving
- If using fresh bamboo shoots, wash and cut bamboo shoots into small pieces along the grain. If not just drain canned bamboo shoots and set aside.
- Pour half the can of coconut milk into a large pot, over low to medium low heat.
- Add the red curry paste. Break up the paste and mix it with coconut milk thoroughly. Stir constantly.
- Add ground beef when you see red oil bubbling on top. Stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Add bamboo shoots when beef starts to brown. Stir well. Add the rest of the coconut milk, water and the fish sauce.
- Simmer for 10 minutes then stir through the basil.
- Serve with steamed rice.