As the weather turns colder slow cookers are an ideal way to get a hot meal on the table for dinner with minimal fuss and effort.
Slow cooking gives gravy or chuck steak a wonderful, falling-apart texture, while cut vegetables are tender and flavoursome. As the cooking process is so gentle, vegetable retain their shape instead of dissolving.
This is a super-easy recipe that will take you a mere 10-12 minutes in the morning to prepare. Think of this dish as minimum effort for maximum reward. The bonus is the wonderful aroma that will greet you when you return home in the evening, tired and hungry.
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours, 12 minutes
- 1 tblspn olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped small
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped small
- 300 grams steak, diced (e.g. chuck or gravy beef)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped into medium pieces
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped into medium pieces
- 1 500-580 gram jar tomato pasta sauce (e.g. summer vegetables, roast garlic and onion or Italian herbs flavours)
- 150 grams brussel sprouts, ends trimmed and bottoms scored with a knife
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat large saucepan and then add oil.
- Add diced steak and turn heat up. Cook for 3-4 minutes until steak is browning nicely.
- Tip meat, onions and garlic into a slow cooker.
- Add potatoes, carrots and brussel sprouts.
- Pour in pasta sauce and mix to combine.
- Put lid on and cook on lowest setting for 8-9 hours.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary.