Australians love their lamb and this is an easy recipe that can be enjoyed by the whole family.
These tasty lamb meatballs are seasoned with rosemary, mint and lemon and accompanied by tzatziki, a Greek cucumber dipping sauce.
They are perfect for a cocktail party or appetizer or you could serve them with a green salad and pita for a quick and tasty meal.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Marinating Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 16 balls
- 1/2 piece bread
- 1/4 cup milk
- 500 grams (1.1 pounds) minced lamb
- 1 + 1/4 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- A few stalks of fresh mint or parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 250 grams (½ pound) Greek style plain yoghurt
- 1 cucumber, peeled, grated and excess water squeezed out
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
1. Soak bread in milk for 2 minutes. Remove bread and squeeze out excess milk.
2. Mix minced lamb with bread, 1 clove garlic, rosemary, herbs, lemon juice and salt and pepper until thoroughly combined. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make tzatziki by combining 1/4 clove garlic with yoghurt, cucumber and lemon juice in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until required.
4. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 360 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking tray with tinfoil.
5. Using a tablespoon, scoop out small balls of the mixture and roll between your palms to form into medium-sized balls. Place balls directly onto tray in neat rows, leaving a small gap between balls.
6. Cook for 20-25 minutes until browning and cooked through.