Turn a salad into a main meal with this refreshing and satisfying dish of lamb kofta served on a bed of fresh and crispy cucumber, Spanish onion, tomato, mint and parsley and served with a creamy garlic sauce.
Don't be afraid when you see how many bulbs went into the garlic sauce. Store it in an airtight container and use enjoy the sauce paired with fish, chicken, to flavor salads or soups.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- ***LAMB KOFTA***
- 500g lean ground lamb
- 1/2 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil for frying
- ***GARLIC SAUCE***
- 2 garlic bulbs
- 1/4 cup good quality olive oil
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, diced large
- 2 tomatoes, diced large
- 1/2 small Spanish onion, finely sliced
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
- Place ground lamb, onion, garlic, cumin, coriander and sea salt in a bowl. Use your clean hands to mix until well combined. Shape 1 1/2 tablespoonfuls of the lamb mixture into small meatballs. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the garlic sauce. Peel the garlic cloves and put them in the blender or food processor. Add half the lemon juice and start to blend. You may from time to time have stop and push the garlic down with a spoon if it sticks to the side. Add the salt. Continue to blend.
- Now add the olive oil in a slow stream while continuing to blend. The sauce should have the consistency of mayonnaise. Taste it and check seasoning. If it needs more lemon, add the rest of the juice and then pulse for 10 seconds. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Heat a oil in frying pan over medium heat. Cook meatballs turning occasionally, for 8 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Combine parsley, mint, cucumber, tomato and Spanish onion in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and toss gently to combine. Serve with lamb kofta and a side of garlic sauce for dipping.