It's hard to resist a slice of heavenly chocolate cake. Especially one this velvety and moist.
The secret to this soft, fluffy chocolate cake, besides butter, is simply boiling water! The cake is topped with a luscious chocolate buttercream icing.
It'll be hard to stop at just one slice.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- ***CHOCOLATE CAKE***
- 250g (8oz) butter, softened
- 285g (10oz) white sugar
- 75g (2.5oz) dark, unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 200g (7oz) self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 250ml boiling water
- ***CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM ICING***
- 125g (4.5oz) butter, softened
- 160g (5.5oz) confectioner's sugar, sifted
- 50g (1.5oz)dark, unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 5 strawberries, washed, hulled & halved
- Special equipment: 8" (20cm) round, square or bundt cake tin, greased lightly with butter
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F (180c).
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the cocoa powder and vanilla essence. Mix well.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add half the flour and baking soda and stir well with a spatula. Add 1/2 cup of boiling water and mix well. Add the remaining flour and bicarb and 1/2 cup of water. Mix well. The batter will seem quite runny but this is ok.
- Pout batter into lightly greased cake tin. Bake for 40-45 minutes until risen. Test cake by inserting a bamboo skewer into the middle. The skewer should come out clean if the cake is ready.
- Remove from oven and cool in tin for 5 minutes. After this time, turn out cake onto a wire rack to cool further.
- To make the chocolate butter cream icing, place the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 6–8 minutes or until pale and creamy. Add the icing sugar mixture, cocoa powder and milk and beat for a further 6 minutes or until light and creamy.
- Spread icing over cooled cake. Decorate with strawberries and serve.