Make the most of ripe bananas with this gorgeous banana yogurt cake. It's sweet, moist and ever so easy to make.
In this recipe I use a slightly sweetened plain yogurt so if you use unsweetened yogurt, add another 2-3 tablespoons of caster sugar to make up the sweetness.
- 120g (4oz)butter, at room temperature
- 100g (3.5oz) caster (berry) sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 200g (7oz)sweetened, plain yogurt
- 200g (7oz)all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Extra butter for greasing tin
- Special equipment: 1 x loaf tin
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Grease a 8cm-deep, 11 x 21cm loaf tin with a little butter. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add eggs one at time beating well after each addition.
- Use a metal spoon to fold through the mashed bananas and yogurt.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder, then fold gently into the banana/yogurt mixture until just combined. Don't over mix.
- Spoon mixture into greased tin and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes in tin. After this time, gently turn the cake out of the tin and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve. Cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.