This creamy vanilla rice pudding can be served hot or cold and is the ultimate comfort food.
Cooked on the stove-top, it's ready in under 15 minutes and is delicious on its own or served with a dash of cream or poached fruit.
- 2 3/4 cups (650 ml) whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (55 gm) sugar
- 1/2 cup (120 gm) short grain rice
- Zest from 1/2 lemon
- Pinch of salt
- Ground cinnamon for sprinkling
- Serves 4
- Place the milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add vanilla essence and stir.
- Once the milk starts to steam, sprinkle in the rice and stir gently with a wooden spoon. Turn the heat up slightly and cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Once the rice grains start to swell, place a lid on the pot and lower the heat. Keep an eye on the rice and stir occasionally for 5-7 minutes.
- Once rice is cooked, remove saucepan from heat and add the sugar, lemon zest and a pinch of salt. Stir gently and taste. Add a little more sugar if necessary.
- Serve hot, at room temperature or chilled. Sprinkle with cinnamon just before serving.