I love cupcakes. They are perfect little portions of pleasure for children and adults alike.
I particularly love simple vanilla cupcakes topped with a cream cheese icing and my favorite Australian chocolate bars the Cadbury Flake and the Nestle Peppermint Crisp.
It's a fun and easy way to decorate cupcakes and especially useful after a time like Halloween when candy bars are a plenty!
- 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup castor sugar (Berry sugar)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup of butter, heated & cooled
- 2 extra large eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp pure vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup of butter, room temperature
- 250 grams (8.75 oz) of cream cheese
- 1/3 cup of castor sugar
- Your favorite chocolate bars for topping
- 12-15 cupcake cases
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F (200C).
- Place the cupcake cases into the muffin tin. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour and castor sugar in a bowl. Make a well in the center.
- In a separate bowl combine the melted butter, eggs and vanilla. Stir gently with a metal spoon or whisk to combine.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake cases filling each case 3/4 of the way up.
- Bake the cupcakes for about 12 minutes. Test by inserting a wooden skewer into the middle of one of the cakes. If it comes out clean, they're ready. If there's any batter stuck to the stick, pop the cupcakes back into the oven for another minute.
- Once ready, remove cupcakes from oven and let them sit for 2 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- Now prepare the icing. Mix together the room temperature butter, cream cheese and castor sugar until smooth and fluffy.
- Use a knife or small spatula to frost the cupcakes once cooled. Break up your favorite chocolate bar and then sprinkle on top.