The strawberry crumble cake is a dinner party favorite and is best served with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream or yogurt.
Syrupy strawberries are topped with a layer of light vanilla spongecake. The crumble is a gorgeous mixture of crushed macadamia nuts and Demarara or Turbinado sugar.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
- STRAWBERRY FILLING
- 1.5kgs (3.3lb) of strawberries, washed, hulled & halved
- 110g (1/2 cup) of castor (berry) sugar
- 2 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp of cornflour (starch)
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence
- CRUMBLE TOPPING
- 110g (1/2 cup) of firmly packed brown sugar
- 75g (1/2 cup) of all-purpose flour
- 90 grams (6 1/2 Tbsp) of unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup of macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
- 55g (1/4 cup) of Demerara sugar
- 340g (2 1/4 cups) of all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp of salt
- 125 g (8 1/2 Tbsp) of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 275g (1 1/4 cups) of castor sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup of buttermilk
- Vanilla ice-cream for serving
- Serves 8-10
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F (180C).
- Start by making the filling. Combine the strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, cornflour and vanilla essence in a bowl. Stir gently to combine then let mixture stand for about 30 minutes. After this time, pour the strawberry mixture and all the juices into a large, greased baking dish. Place the dish on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Make the crumb topping by combining the sugar, flour and butter in a bowl. Rub the ingredients together between your fingers until you form coarse crumbs. Add the macadamia nuts and press mixture into small clumps. Set aside.
- To make the cake, combine together the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk ingredients together. In a separate bowl, combine the butter and sugar and beat with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy, or for about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs to the butter/sugar mixture, one at a time, beating each egg well before adding the next. Add vanilla essence and mix well to combine. Scrape down the bowl then use a spatula to mix in the dry ingredients in 3 batches, alternating with buttermilk and starting and ending with flour mixture. So add the flour and mix, buttermilk and mix, flour and mix, buttermilk and mix, flour and mix.
- Spoon batter evenly over filling and sprinkle with macadamia crumb topping. Sprinkle the crumble topping with the Demerara sugar. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the strawberries are bubbling and the crumb topping is golden. Remove from oven and cool slightly for about 5 minutes before serving. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.