This is the simplest and healthiest recipe for ice cream I've ever come across.
This gorgeous dessert contains absolutely no dairy or sugar yet tastes like regular ice cream. It sounds like an impossible dream but it's not. You simply freeze bananans, then blend them up with avocados and frozen berries before refreezing.
Moreover, the fruit provide additional benefits. Bananas are high in potassium and B vitamins, the avocados provide healthy oils and fats and the berries are high in Vitamin C.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Freeze Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours, 15 minutes
Yield: Approximately 1 litre
- 4 large bananas
- 2 large avocados
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- Peel bananas and discard skin.
- Remove any unsightly bruises and then chop bananas into large pieces.
- Place bananas pieces into a freezer bag and freeze for at least four hours or overnight.
- In a large processer, blend the frozen bananas until they resemble large breadcrumbs.
- Peel the avocados and remove the stone along with any unsightly blemishes.
- Place avocados into the processor and blend again, using a spatula to scrape down the edges between blends.
- Add frozen berries and blend again a few times, using a spatula to push down the intact berries and scrape down the sides.
- Transfer mixture to a freezer-proof container (e.g. a metal cake or loaf tin or a plastic storage box) and freeze for at least four hours or overnight.
- Remove from freezer and let the ice cream sit on the bench for at least 10 minutes before serving.
This Simple Berry Ice Cream is wonderful served with fresh (or thawed) berries and a white chocolate wafer stick.