Shortbread cookies originate from Scotland where they are served with tea especially at Christmas and New Year.
The buttery cookies made their way to Australia during the Scottish migration in the 1800s and still remain one of the most popular treats today.
There are different types of shortbread, some containing more butter than others. This particular recipe is for a basic shortbread base which means a little less butter.
The shortbread is topped with an incredibly easy and delicious passionfruit icing.
- 250g (8.75oz) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 120g (4 oz) berry (caster) sugar
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- Pulp from 1 1/2 passionfruit
- 125g (4.5 oz) icing sugar
- Special Equipment: Cookie cutter
- Place butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer to cream until pale and fluffy.
- Add egg and beat until combined.
- Place sifted flour on a clean bench. Make a well and add the butter mixture. Use your fingers to gently fold the flour into the butter. Use a light touch and don't squash the mixture as this will make the cookies tough.
- Shape the dough into a disc and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F (180C).
- Remove the dough from the fridge and unwrap it. Place it on another piece of plastic wrap (cling film). Place a piece of plastic wrap on top of it and then roll it flat to about 1/2" thick (1cm). The plastic stops the dough from sticking to the surface or to the rolling pin.
- Use a small cookie cutter of a desired shape to cut out cookies. Place the cookies on a plate lined with baking paper and then put them in the fridge for another 10 minutes to harden slightly.
- After this time, place the cookies on a lined baking sheet and bake in the oven until the edges start to turn a light golden color. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, prepare the icing by mixing together the icing sugar and passionfruit pulp with a spoon. Mix thoroughly to form a paste.
- Spoon icing onto cooled cookies and then serve. The cookies are also delicious the next day once the icing has been absorbed by the cookies.