These moist and delicious lemon ricotta cupcakes are easy to make and even easier to eat!
- 200g all-purpose flour (plain flour), sifted
- 150g sugar
- 150g fresh ricotta
- 120g butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ***LEMON ICING***
- 125g icing sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Special equipment: 12-hole 1/3 cup capacity muffin tin & cupcake baking papers
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- Sift together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Prepare the dough by using an electric mixer to beat the egg with the sugar for 2 minutes. While still beating, add the melted butter, ricotta, lemon juice and zest, vanilla essence and, finally, the flour/baking powder mixture. The dough should be smooth and silky.
- Spoon the batter into 12 muffin tins lined with paper cases. Fill the cases up to 3/4 full. Bake the cupcakes for 20-25 minutes until golden or until a skewer inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Prepare the lemon glaze icing by combining the icing sugar and lemon juice together in a mixing bowl. Use a metal spoon to stir until you get a very dense glaze.
- Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of glaze onto each cupcake and spread gently. Serve.
- To store, keep cupcakes in an airtight container for up to 2 days.