The pound cake is an old fashioned favorite passed down by many generations. The name "pound" refers to traditional recipes that contained one pound each of butter, eggs, sugar and flour.
While the passionfruit pound cake doesn't contain quite so much butter, it does contain low-fat ricotta cheese which adds a subtle yet beautiful flavor which is also enhanced by a little lemon zest.
The icing is a combination of fresh passionfruit pulp, low-fat cream cheese and icing sugar.
- 1 1/2 cups of cake flour
- 2 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- 3/4 cup (6oz) of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups of low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of white sugar
- 1 Tbsp of finely grated lemon zest
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- Seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean
- Passionfruit Icing
- 250 grams (1 stick) of low-fat Philadelphia cream cheese
- 1/2 cup of icing sugar
- 4 Tbsp of fresh or canned passionfruit pulp
- Special equipment: 9" loaf pan
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F (180C).
- Grease the loaf pan with a little butter. Set aside. Split the vanilla bean and use the tip of a sharp knife to scrape out the seeds into a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together the butter, ricotta, lemon zest and sugar on medium speed until smooth and light for about 2 minutes.
- Use a wooden spoon to gently beat the eggs into the ricotta mixture, one at a time, making sure they're well combined before adding the next egg. Make sure you scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla seeds to the batter and stir gently to combine.
- Using the wooden spoon, gradually mix in the dry ingredients until combined.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and use a spatula to smooth the top.
- Bake the cake for 15 minutes, then turn the pan 180 degrees make sure it browns evenly. Bake for another 10 minutes then lower the heat to 325F (150C) and bake for 30 minutes.
- Test the cake by inserting a tooth pick into the center. If it comes out clean, it's ready.
- Remove cake from oven and allow to cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully invert cake onto the rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the passionfruit icing. In a medium bowl combine the cream cheese, icing sugar and passionfruit pulp. Beat with the electric mixer on a medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Once the cake is cooled, spread on passionfruit icing, slice and serve.